Can Humidifiers Be Dangerous？
5 mistakes people make when using humidifiers
Ignore the humidity level in the home
In short, humidity is the level of water vapor in the indoor air. Moreover, if the humidity is out of control, the humidity level in the indoor air may help relieve allergy symptoms or harm them. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the humidity in summer should be kept below 60%, and the relative humidity in winter should preferably be between 25% and 40%
Although many types of humidifiers come with a built-in humidifier for measuring relative humidity, you can also purchase a separate hygrometer or hygrometer (formally called a hygrometer) to more accurately measure and check the indoor relative humidity. If you use a humidifier to help solve specific allergy symptoms, check the humidity frequently and keep it relatively stable.
Make the humidity level too high
While keeping the humidity stable, pay attention to whether the humidity will rise to an acceptable level, because a little humidity will improve your allergy symptoms, but too high humidity can actually make the allergy symptoms worse. This is especially true if you have specific known allergies to dust mites, mold, and mold. Higher indoor relative humidity can cause all three known allergens to grow, multiply and multiply in your house.
Check the humidity. If the room feels particularly dense and humid, the curtains and pillows are damp, or condensation on the windows or window sills, it indicates that the humidity is too high. Please reduce the humidity immediately. In fact, dust mites will die at 40% to 50% humidity. Therefore, if you have dust mites, mold or mold allergies, please check the humidity level frequently and do not let the humidity rise above 40%.
The cleaning of the humidifier is often ignored
Since you breathe the air affected by the humidifier, you must follow the manufacturer’s specific instructions to clean and maintain the equipment most effectively.
If the filter and water tank are not properly cleaned according to the frequency and frequency described by the manufacturer, the equipment may grow and breed mold, mildew and even bacteria, and then these allergens will be sprayed into your air along with the mist. Dirty fog can severely worsen any allergy symptoms, so be sure to clean the equipment according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Use tap water in the humidifier
Many ultrasonic indoor humidifiers work by breaking down water particles and breaking down and distributing mineral particles. If you fill the device with unfiltered tap water according to the manufacturer’s instructions, it will produce “white dust” mineral residues around the room and in the water tank. These mineral deposits can promote the growth of bacteria in the humidifier, and when they are released into the air, you will also breathe them.
Let water sit in your room
Never let the water sit in the machine for a few days between uses, because a film will form on the top, which will breed bacteria in the closed tank. When not in use or even when not in use for a day, always empty the water and clean the water tank.
Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions, use hydrogen peroxide or bleach to clean or wipe the equipment to inhibit the growth of bacteria, and then thoroughly rinse and dry so that harmful chemicals will never be released into the indoor air.
If you have an allergic reaction, please carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using and maintaining the humidifier to prevent allergic symptoms.
How to use humidifier safely
Before operating the humidifier at home, you should pay attention to some of the risks and safety precautions of these devices to avoid adverse health effects.
Do not add too much moisture to the room. You don’t want the humidity in the room to exceed 50%. When the humidity exceeds this percentage, bacteria and mold may grow. This may cause respiratory diseases such as allergies and asthma.
Ideally, the humidity of the room should be between 30% and 50%. You can buy a hygrometer to measure the humidity in your home.
Run the humidifier only when needed, instead of keeping the humidity down all the time.
Use distilled water
When using a humidifier, another health risk is related to particles other than the water discharged into the air. Unhealthy mineral particles can be released through humidifiers, especially in cold fog machines.
Distilled water contains less minerals and can be purchased for humidifiers.
Keep the machine clean
After each use, always clean the humidifier and ensure that the water tank is completely dry before using it.
Rinse and replace the water in the humidifier tank every night to avoid using old stagnant water that may contain mold or other bacteria or fungi.
You may notice white buildup in the humidifier. This is called limescale, which can be emitted into the air and cause particles to enter the lungs, which can cause health problems.
To avoid or remove scale or mold, please clean the humidifier with water, a mixture of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide or another cleaning solution recommended by the manufacturer every few days.
Replace the filter regularly
Some humidifiers require filters or have other parts that need to be cleaned or replaced. For example, regularly replace the filter in the central humidifier according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Keep the interior door open
To avoid excessive humidity in the room, make sure to keep the door of the room open to allow air to flow in and out of the space.
Use good judgment when using humidifiers in your child’s room
Not all humidifiers are the same, so if you use it in your child’s room at night, you should consider the safest option.
A humidifier that boils or heats the water in it may pose a safety hazard. On the other hand, cold mist humidifiers release more harmful elements into the air, so they need to be kept clean.
Risks and precautions of humidifiers
The safe use of humidifiers should reduce risks, but please pay attention to the following points:
- High humidity in the room may be dangerous.
- An unclean humidifier emits harmful elements, which can cause breathing problems.
- When touched, the warm mist humidifier may burn children.
- A cool atomizing humidifier may disperse harmful minerals and other particles that irritate the lungs.
- Distilled water is the safest type of water for humidifiers.
- Older humidifiers may contain harmful bacteria or mold, and you cannot clean or remove them.